been offered a 2b, need advice please.

Guest daz7505

Guest daz7505

hi, dont currently have a kit car, last one was an eagle rv around 15 to 20 years ago.

ive come across a 1991 registered robin hood 2b for sale locally, no engine or box, and apparently no fibre glass panels.

ive seen that the panels are readily available.

i dont know what else is missing. according to the seller, its sierra based, and registered as a 1991.

im guessing off the 2 poorly taken pics, that its a rolling chassis with some parts missing. can see steering wheel and master cylinder. so im hoping that im just needing to source engine,box and get the panels, windscreen, seats and maybe some basic parts, lights etc maybe.

Would really appreciate some advice on what i should be paying for it.

thanks

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi. First question is, is it registered correctly as a Robin Hood, or is it still registered as a 1991 Sierra? If its still Sierra I would personally walk away as you would have to build it and iva it. Only worth a few hundred if that is the case. Just my opinion..

Even if it is correctly registered it could cost you a fortune getting all the bits and pieces together to build it, so a rolling shell is only worth it if you have access to most of the parts. Personally I would look for one that is built but requires work it could work out better.

Correctly registered but missing the parts stated, it's worth at least £600 which is what someone would pay for the V5 if they were going to use the identity on another car and break the rest for parts.

Complete, running, correctly registered 2B's should sell for upwards of £2000 so that should give you an idea of whether it's worthwhile taking on.

Guest daz7505
1 hour ago, richyb66 said:

Correctly registered but missing the parts stated, it's worth at least £600 which is what someone would pay for the V5 if they were going to use the identity on another car and break the rest for parts.

Complete, running, correctly registered 2B's should sell for upwards of £2000 so that should give you an idea of whether it's worthwhile taking on.

Seller wants 500

Guest daz7505

Just asked seller what its registered as, he said it's down as a Sierra, but reckons dvla might just change the log book as its such an old log book, yeah right of course that will.

Guess i should not bother???

Guest daz7505
1 hour ago, dandan62 said:

Walk away. Lots of kits for sale at the moment. End of season soon so should be some bargains to be had. Good luck.

What if i can knock him down on the price?

How hard is it to get through an iva

Im in no rush to work on it, i own a garage, and it will be stored there and worked on in between customers cars. Willing to spend upto 2 grand to get it on the road.

Edited by daz7505

Probably not that hard if you're in the trade. It depends on the quality of the build so far, you could end up redoing a lot of previous work. 

IVA test will cost £600 and you will end up with a q plate if you can't prove single donor sourced parts. Engine number should match what's on the donor v5. 

4 hours ago, daz7505 said:

What if i can knock him down on the price?

How hard is it to get through an iva

Im in no rush to work on it, i own a garage, and it will be stored there and worked on in between customers cars. Willing to spend upto 2 grand to get it on the road.

You'll really struggle to get it through IVA for £2k, even being in the trade. Engine, gearbox, wiring looms, ECU, dash, seats, radiator, alternator - there's a ton of stuff after a rolling chassis. Much better to buy a registered car, no matter what state, and do it up.

Guest daz7505

Not bothering, with it. Found another that's apparently 99% complete, just a couple of wiring issues. Im an auto electrician. Its not registered, but as all the paperwork from the donor sierra, do matching engine numbers etc. Wants 2400 for it. 

21 hours ago, daz7505 said:

Not bothering, with it. Found another that's apparently 99% complete, just a couple of wiring issues. Im an auto electrician. Its not registered, but as all the paperwork from the donor sierra, do matching engine numbers etc. Wants 2400 for it. 

I'm sure he does, not worth anything near that, look at completed listings on Fleecebay, £1K max. IVA is £500, plus a re-test (£100) they nearly always need a re-test, then you have to register another £120 so you're already well over £3K you can get a fully finished running one for that kind of money.