Westfield On Fifth Gear

Joel

I don't know if this was a recent one or a repeat but did anyone else see a grumpy Jason Plato tearing shreds out of the Westfield Sport Turbo on Fifth Gear the other day?

Wrong engine choice, poor build quality, over-priced, etc, etc.... :vava:

Mixed feelings really. On the one hand Westfield's reputation can be a bit untouchable from within the kit car scene, so it's strangely refreshing to hear some constructive criticism (although this was mostly ranting), but the broader issue of kit-car bashing in the mainstream press always rankles a bit, so I hope it does Westfield no long term harm. :rolleyes:

I've just watched it on the fith gear website.

I love the centre consule held on with velcro. He wasnt impressed was he? That is alot of money for a production car with cheap fittings,

ALthough it is probabally one of the first, However, if you are gonna ler the media loose with it you should make the effort.

what a miserable tw*t, i think he is missing the point all together of these types of cars .... he has a point about the power i prefer it even spread through the rev range, the build quailty was a bit ??? there are a few zeros that would put that to shame... maybe westfield are becoming a bit to comfortable

Guest gixerboy600

Just watched it on the website,

Several points, Plato slags off the "50's Design", he's cold and uncomfortable, probably needs to actually appreciate the fact it aint no porsche 911!!!!

Yes build quality looks questionable from a factory build such as Westfield

I think the handling in a Zero would be significantly better!

It would also cost alot less!!!

Westfield and Caterham are relying too much on reputation and not enough on innovation, design and quality!!! GBS will, if not already be a serious competitor in this market place under Richard and the team!!

BRING IT ON

Guest Christine

I would sooner hear a report from Plato (at least he can drive a car!) rather that wonker Clarkson, can you imagine what he would have said about it.

Another point to make, if you had built a car to that standard and paid 25 grand would you have been proud of it because i would'nt.

saying that i think clarkson is behind caterhams. I believe his wife owns one or at least likes them as i saw an article about her doing a timed rally in one.

I guess the topgear boys did take the mick out of the caterham on the one show with a graph with geekiness as one of the axis, but hammond did think it was amazing. And they did build one in 8 hours in teh one episode.

And the lap of the track in the R500 man that was amazing, coming 4th i think beating veyrons etc!!!!

As for 5th gear i saw one where vicki was reviewing a caterham and complaining about the doors and stuff and i was just thinking how is she missing the point. Haven't seen the westfield vid yet but i imagine it will annoy me.

I used to think a lot of vicki B-H ( :air_kiss: ) but read an msn article the other day about design features she doesn't like and she was talking rubbish. She didn't like the see in the dark infrared video display they are starting to use on expensive cars?? didn't really explain why, something about them being distracting! missed the point that you can see soooo much further with them to spot the person in the road up ahead or the deer lurking on the side ready to run out. Oh and the electric handbrake, which granted i don't like on my dads car, her reason for dislikeing them was because you couldn't sneakily pull it on if you were trying to slow down going past cops without your brake lights coming on, if you were speeding! what a dum thing to say. Yeah you are already going too fast and being distracted by the thought of getting a ticket, make it better by taking your hand off the wheel and locking up your back brakes! without any warning to other road users.

sorry seem to have gone off on one :blink:

Oh dear

Thats the biggest slatting I have ever seen on a car review. After seeing that biuld quality I`m really pleased with mine.

Heres the link for the review, although you do have to sit through hours of adverts. Well a few minutes.

http://www.five.tv/shows/fifth-gear/episodes/episode-18-83

Gray

So Jason discovers that a factory built seven is a bit overpriced, especially if you buy the so called top brands. His point about the power delivery not being suitable for such a light car is surely valid. The points about flimsy fittings less so. Little access panels are a good thing. That ones for changing the handbrake cable. Would he be happier if it were held on with plastic clips, one or two of which broke every time the panel was removed like most tin top door trims. Someone forgot the screws at the bottom of the dash. I suspect some suspension setting up was needed. Adjustment range of the steering wheel was useless.

I think most of his points are fair enough when looking at value for money. They do betray that he just doesn't get sevens which is probably due to being able to buy his very expensive toys, rather than building one from cash saved out of the household budget over a couple of years and modifying it each winter with less money than he claimed for his expenses to drive that Westy. I do think Westy are losing the plot since their takeover. More about profits and bling rather than the driving.

I suspect however even if he was given a well set-up pinto engined Zero and told it was 5 grand he still wouldn't get it.

Nigel

I have to agree that it just didn't look like a £25K car and as mentioned above, maybe Westfield have just lost their way a bit focusing on profit over functionality. The bottom of the dash being lose was just sloppy on Westfield's part but if the car is a bit of a development hack and is passed around from car mag to car mag, someone else may have broken it and they just didn't get chance to repair it.

Further down in the video reviews old "Tiffany Dell" reviewed a caterham RS175 and he was far more complementary about the car and the genre.

Jase is a good lad and wouldn't be slagging it off without good reason.

Stands to reason a 1.6 turbo tuned to the nuts is going to be more of an on /off switch than a throttle and to be fair, the car looked sh*te.

If I had £15k in my sky-rocket I wouldn't buy that, let alone £25k.

"westfield test by jason. If you can build better in your garage put your money where your mouth is and do it might i suggest the GBS Zero would think £10000 will give you a better result than the westfield"

posted as comment on 5 website

having had a test drive with the loony known only as the rich ,stig hang your head in shame ,

i can testfy that this is the best handling 7 i have ever been in .

i have a nappy full to prove the point should it be required .

i have to say i have had 2 2 bs

2 s7

i still have 2 lightweights

this car is awsome the zero is awsome it is the best handling car i have ever been in , i can only speak of my experiance ,

its mental .

graham