Mallory Park Faced With Closure.

richyb66

You may know that Mallory Park Circuit is having problems with local residents objecting to noise and that the company that runs it say they cannot continue in business if they are limited to the number of uses a year that the County Council intends to impose on them. If they cannot use Mallory Park as a race circuit then sale for housing is the likely outcome.

http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/race/mallory-park-under-threat/

The petition is a long way off the 100K signatures needs to get the Gov to take notice, so please add yours now!

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/46739

Brands has had a similar problem,

with new housing developments nearby, people buy them knowing its

next to a race circuit, then complain about the noise.

B&*(^y councils take more notice of them than the long standing race circuit.

In South Charlotte the same situation happened then the council shut a 1/8 mile dragstrip that had been running since the early

50s. Now every single driver going past the housing development leans on his horn going past.....apparently house values have plummeted....shame.

I think, unfortunately, there's been a fair bit of spin been put in this from both sides.

I would read the following links and make your own mind up.

http://www.bikesport...per&newsid=8775

http://www.thisislei...2MZvaab9l</p><p

The first smacks a little of 'blackmail' - "agree to let us run more days or I'll sell up!".

The second one I think is important, it puts across a better view of what the residents in Kirby Mallory are concerned about. It's not the noise per se, but the desire to up the number of race days significantly. Many discussions don't touch on this point.

There was a meeting scheduled between the relevant parties, but in the end it was cancelled.

So, to be clear, I don't believe I've seen any evidence that this is people moving into the area fully knowing about the track, and then complaining about the noise levels. The business isn't viable on 92 days a year, a restriction made in an agreement made in 1985, and wants to up it to 160.

Personally I can see both sides of the argument but, being a petrol head, I would quite happily agree to the upped limit for a free entry pass :) (if I lived in KM, which I don't...)

• 2 months later...
Guest David Thomas

Typical modern society, balls to the historic meaning of the track, the amount of memories skidded into the history books, all that matters is when some person bought a cheap house next to the race course ( I say cheap, I mean cheaper than the same house in the next town, purely down to the fact their is a whopping race track in their back yard) they now think they have the right to complain. If you ask me this is where this country is going down the pan, there are councils willing to demolish or run out of business these historic sites just to please the few. My home towns high street is a complete mess because the council officials have no back bone to say lets preserve our country by preserving the history of every town. I am relatively young 27, and I find it so irritating (trying to stay composed) that this is allowed to happen, instead of trying to please the few people who are to miserable to embrace such things which make the town they live in special they are trying to ruin it and the council are accepting this. It's always the same and it needs to stop! Soon we will be a blander place to live, when mowing your garden has a council partition against it because its too noisy. So to make a few people happy they are going to ruin it for 1000's who have used this place and who are still using it! It's time to wake up and smell the coffee!! The government are taking the great out of our once proud country one historic place at a time, I fear for my children and their children. I hope the race track is to be able to operate as usual.

Guest Rallyreason

Kirby mallory is not a cheap place to get a house

And you will probably find that a few of them have high contacts in the local council.

Guest Ian & Carole

For my 40th birthday I was given a "single seater" day at Mallory, 20 years ago, and this was a subject of conversation then so things are moving on at a pace!!

Guest mower man

It,s happening all over Croft , Mallory ,Brands ,no circuit is really safe from the nanny state ,Cadwell I suppose is lucky being miles from any where Silverstone well to many businesses paying rent helps out . The first two bring back many memories of super stars on bikes and in cars and hours working in the paddock on F/F ,clubmans mallock , mini special saloons it would be a great pity if new comer prats kill the sport mowerman :aggressive: