Theducks Build To Date In (Not So) Brief (Anymore)

theduck

Done a bit of work on the car tonight.

Found that the offside rear brakes were binding after all, not sure what is catching on what though yet as didn't get much further with that than identifying that was the fault and confirming by removing the drum and running it up which it did fine in all gears.

Found the fuel tank leak, small hole in the rear of the tank, was hidden under the protective vinyl. Have siphoned off some of the petrol from the tank so it's not leaking now. Need to get the tank out, drain it and put a small weld of the hole.

Sorted the wiring issues in the engine bay.

Reconfigured the speedo so should under read slightly now

Secured the handbrake cables out of the way

Fixed the leaky rear brake pipe join

• Like 3

Guest Blueosis1

What was wrong with the switches ,thought they looked ok with there little chrome posts around them ?

Mark

Guest mower man

Re welding petrol tanks --you are a braver than me and I suspect most on here to even think about welding a tank that has been used !!,it can be done but the flushing and voiding of fumes is not 5 min job hot water flush and a good few hours of through running water after which as long as that again with warm air to get it dry please be very careful mick

If your speedo under reads its illegal. A speedo can read exactly (which is hard to achieve) or read slightly high. Which means you will be driving a bit slower than what the speedo says and therefore be within the speed limit.

Guest chris brown

Yes be very careful welding the tank. Years ago I attempted to weld a mini van tank. So ran water through it all day then hot water and washing up liquid to finish. First touch with the torch there was a very and I mean very big bang and I am looking a large piece of metal that resembled nothing like a fuel tank. I was fortunate that it opened up away from me and no damage was done but I was lucky so don't risk it, use chemical metal or similar.

A feasible way of mending a small hole in a tank is to fit

a fibre washer on a self tapper & screw it in with petrol proof sealant.

Way back when, an RAC man did this to an old banger I had.

He said treat it as temporary, but it lasted years.

If you can get inside the tank, maybe a small nut & bolt may be better?

Safer than welding.

If your speedo under reads its illegal. A speedo can read exactly (which is hard to achieve) or read slightly high. Which means you will be driving a bit slower than what the speedo says and therefore be within the speed limit.

Oops I meant over read.

What was wrong with the switches ,thought they looked ok with there little chrome posts around them ?

Mark

Switches were fine

A feasible way of mending a small hole in a tank is to fit

a fibre washer on a self tapper & screw it in with petrol proof sealant.

Way back when, an RAC man did this to an old banger I had.

He said treat it as temporary, but it lasted years.

If you can get inside the tank, maybe a small nut & bolt may be better?

Safer than welding.

I like the sound of this idea or chemical metal much better than crispy exploded duck!

Edited by theduck

Guest 2b cruising

I have used por 15 tank repair lining before. It works really well and is a permene repair as long as you follow instructions.

A little on the expensive side but worth every penny.

One hole in the tank through rust internally or externally means there are many more on the way.

This stuff even takes care of that.

Guest 2b cruising

One thing I used several times on side of the road breakdowns is a bar of soap.

Yes soap.

Grind some off the bar and make into a paste. It will block even splits in tanks but really is only a temporary fix.

Mentioned as a useful tip for any members to use if needed roadside.

Evening Sir, just a routine vehicle inspection ; would you mind opening the glove-box Sir ; & what exactly is this in the plastic bag ; soap you say --- to fix a leaky petrol tank if it should occur. yes Sir; fine -- I would like you to accompany me to the Station for a full search.