Theducks Build To Date In (Not So) Brief (Anymore)

theduck

So got lots crossed off the list this weekend

Noise – Bought some wadding to put behind my home made DB killer, need to have a play around when the car is back on its wheels so can take it outside and measure the effectiveness

Fuel tank leaking – Turned out to be a small hole, dropped the tank and fixed with chemical metal.

While tank was out I turned the fog light bolts around so they cannot contact tank.

Side mirrors – Swapped to the ones Zach used for IVA

Handbrake cable – Secured away from drive shafts

Brake fluid leak - Hose was loose. Tighten up and tested, now all good.

Rear edge of speedo - covered with trim

horn button - two grommets stretched over it

Edge of GRP from rear wing. - utrim

Speedo – recalibrated so should now over read slightly

But if tidying up wiring as required.

As for the diff, well I think it is ok as I found that in one spot the brakes did appear to be binding. So I tried swapping the drums from one side to the other and the problem moved. Took the suspected drum off and put it on a flat surface to find it was slightly warped. I don't know the history of the drums as they came with the car so have ordered a new pair and fingers crossed this solves the issue.

So not a huge amount left to do. Need to make up the bracing for the lower harness mounts and work on quietening the exhaust but ten age is good for retest. Going to see if I can get her on the rollers before the retest and get her setup properly.

• Like 1

I thought I wasn't going to get any time on the car this weekend but managed to sneak in an hour so a quick update.

New drums fitted. Problem still there but noticeably lessened. Put old drums back on to be sure, problem immediately gets worse. So drum was definitely causing an issue, but there still seems to be a problem. I think I will now work my way back through the drive line, so wheel bearings next, then diff and prop.

Fuel tank repair has now been tested and is fine.

Jobs left to do:

Quieten exhaust - thinking I'll take the easy option and replace the silencer

Make and for lower harness mount chassis bracing

Solve the driveline issue

• Like 1

Guest 2b cruising

You can get a tail pipe ad on that quietness the din a bit. They go inside existing and wrap around the end of you tail pipe. Maybe from car builders, not sure where from.

Not tried but they aren't binding on the new drums and handbrake still works. I'm going to replace the bearings then try a drive as I seem to remember not being 100% about one of the wheel bearings anyway, just can't remember which one now.

Can't use a DB killer as they won't fit my tail pipe. I have sorted a silencer that passed iva at 92db.

Guest 2b cruising

Don't know if it will fit, but I've got a Triumph hub and bearing puller if you want to borrow.

Can bring to Coventry next week. If you want let me know.

Edited by 2b cruising

• 2 months later...