Why Can't I Edit My Posts?

speedtripledan

Guest mower man

quick look ,last post in pastic for doors this morning ,ok did edit for a spelling error straight away but can't edit again it's no prob and havent had an issue before but being nosey after reading dans post looked to seeif any issues mick

I've just gone through 5 or 6 post I've made recently and there doesn't seem to be an edit function available on any of them, either replied to or last post on thread.

I've tried on my PC and phone and both the same.

HTH

Nick

Although I've been able to edit this!!!

unable to edit again.... maybe it's after somebody else has read it?

Nick

Do the commitee have an opinion on this? If I can't edit or remove my own content as I have done sense 2007 I will just stop posting full stop. This problem 1st happened when I was in commitee and admin said something about a failed update but obviously nothing has been done as yet

Dan,

As said in my first post, as far as I am aware nothing has been changed whilst I’ve been on the Committee. The failed update of software is something I’m not aware of until your post above so please excuse my ignorance of this.

Being reasonable, this isn’t particularly a time-sensitive matter but nevertheless it is still being treated with the utmost of importance. We are on only day-2 of this matter being brought to our / my attention and we have put a request into RHOCaR’s admin / website team for further assistance & guidance. Please rest assured that as soon as we have all of the correct information to hand, we will update this post accordingly.

In the mean time while we are getting to the bottom of this, it seems on face value that area secs, mods and committee still have the facility to edit posts, therefore please don’t hesitate to PM one of us or myself to edit posts accordingly.

Guest Gargoil

Is it that the Edit facility is eliminated if you navigate away from your original post?

In fact, I'll try now......

Hmmm can still edit.

And again.

TTFN.

Damn, can still edit.

Does this mean I'm a mod?

The things I could do with the power......

Edited by Gargoil

Dear Members,

With the help of our admin team, we have been able to cast some light onto this topic. Basically what appears to have happened is that when the 2014 members group was created in December, the updated forum software created a ‘default’ 30 minute time-limit to edit your posts. Once the 30 minutes had expired, your post is frozen and cannot be edited (except by a moderator).

We acknowledge that this change from the 2013 membership has inadvertently happened without the members knowledge and we apologize for that.

Once we got to the bottom of why this has happened, we then looked into the solution. Our admin team have advised that we can set any length of ‘editing’ time (denoted in number of minutes) we want before the posts are ‘frozen’ or alternatively we can revert back to the unlimited editing time period as it was in 2013 (it’s suspected that unlimited editing has been abused in the past).

The committee has considered the options available and we can see that there are various advantages and disadvantages that go with having unlimited editing time on posts (you are an intelligent group of people and I’m sure you're able to decipher these for yourselves without me writing 'chapter and verse'). To reach a resolution in this particular matter, it is our belief that the opinions of the 7 committee members may not best represent what the majority of members would agree with. To this end and in the best interests of the Club’s online forum users we have set up an online voting thread that will remain open until the 31st July 2014 to allow members to chose from the following options;

30-minute editing time

48-hours editing time

30-days editing time

Unlimited editing time

http://www.rhocar.org/index.php?showtopic=40037&hl=

Please give this matter the full consideration it deserves and treat the voting thread respectfully.

Many thanks in advance for your understanding and input.

Whilst not wishing to 'pull rank', as an Area Secretary I find it handy to be able to edit my original post regarding a meeting to add to the list of attendees as the responses arrive. That would mean I would have to vote for '30 days' or 'Unlimited' whereas I can actually see the logic of a much shorter time. Would it be possible to have a different set of rules for the Event Notification area of the forum or is that not possible ?

Whilst not wishing to 'pull rank', as an Area Secretary I find it handy to be able to edit my original post regarding a meeting to add to the list of attendees as the responses arrive. That would mean I would have to vote for '30 days' or 'Unlimited' whereas I can actually see the logic of a much shorter time. Would it be possible to have a different set of rules for the Event Notification area of the forum or is that not possible ?

In my opinion Area Sec's should be made moderators for this reason.

Ozz

I think Area Secs are a different group to members so we can edit our posts despite the time limits.

As Alan says this is very useful for updating attendees at meets but for normal members, I think 30 day limit is probably sufficient and would be ok for all be the most unusual circumstances which could be dealt with by a pm to a moderator.

I think Area Secs are a different group to members so we can edit our posts despite the time limits.

As Alan says this is very useful for updating attendees at meets but for normal members, I think 30 day limit is probably sufficient and would be ok for all be the most unusual circumstances which could be dealt with by a pm to a moderator.

Some of the events posts require editing over a long period of time national meet for example
  • Like 1

Would it be possible for the members to be informed of all the many & varied " rights" /privileges of all the differing levels of forum administration available? We have committee management at the top followed by ?? moderators, who may or may not be area secretaries, area secs who could be a moderator followed by the great & good mass of paid-up members & the biggest bunch of all the community members. Must not forget the web- masters who can presumably see all/ do all??

Apart from the web controllers is any-one certain? The vote is useful "open" management but we are being asked to vote with-out full details of the possibilities.

What about the delete change, this happened long after the 2014 group was created. Strangely it coincided with me and bob battling before the agm, I feel as the author of any material I contribute I have copyright as it were, thus have the right to remove my post if i wish. From 2007 to approx April 14 I was able to do this.

Edited by DanE

Bob, the points you've queried within your post above will be answered in full, however time is against me right now. In the mean time, the forum groups; webmaster, admin, mods, area secs and committee will remain with unlimited editing time.

2014 Members group, who currently have 30 min editing time will be amended in accordance with the outcome of the online vote.

Community users have a 10 min editing time which has been in place for years and this will remain unchanged.

Dan; the delete button will not be returning to the forum. It is in the clubs interest to protect the information that is donated to our forum.

Within the editing period of your post, you could if you so wanted, edit your post by deleting the original content and replace it all simply with the word "deleted"....however I'm sure it's extremely rare that this scenario should ever arise.

Once again, apologies for the shortness of my replies, time is against me as the hollowell train is departing in the morning and I've still lots of packing to do!

Once the outcome of the online vote is known, the committee will issue a formal response that I hope will conclude this matter and address the points you have raised.

Edited by steamer