This Weekends Tinkering

Guest alfaGTA

Guest alfaGTA

I solved my spluttering and general poor running! It was either a dirty crank sensor connection, a loose crank sensor connection or a crank sensor wire that was going very floppy when warm next to the exhaust and flailing about too much.... Either way some carb cleaner and a few more cable ties has stopped the spluttering and backfiring.

Popped up to Dan's place and plopped the Frankenstein zetec in for him whilst he drank tea and ate toast.... Couldn't stay all day so left him at 12 and headed home for lunch and some daddy play time with the girls.

Swapped the small front number plate for a regular sized one so I don't get my collar felt! Also fitted a quick release on the steering wheel for a bit more security and piece of mind when the car is left outside overnight.

Twice Dan is all good now

Well on mine fitted master cylinder\ rear wheel cylinders and started to bleed up found rear flexible blocked or collapsed so that on shopping list.

Fitted air filter had to tap threads into carb.

Fitted heater blower

Fitted new oil spray bar

Fitted new clutch cable needs spacer so another on shopping list

Fitted radiator and vicois fan

Still a long list to do but its a start hopefully get all clear and can enjoy it then

Rebuilt the standard redtop as far as possible. (I need the flywheel, clutch, & sump from the modified one)

Used the new hoist to remove the modified redtop,

split the engine & box

Found a worn out clutch plate (SBD organic...£££££ bug**r)

Found the new "Sierra" release bearing is different to the one fitted.... bug**r

Found the cambelt very floppy (near miss that one!)

Going on holiday at the end of the week, so a long drive to HELIX tomorrow.....

Hey ho...

Guest mower man

Re placed the imetre+clutch pipe on the mazda as it ran too close to the new 4/2/1 ex manifold Hose Diect at Harworth did the new hose ,s/s braided while I waiied much better mick

Edited by mower man

• 2 weeks later...
Guest peter2b2002

engine started last week end after I fitted the Webber and new dizy ,but now I've fitted a choke cable and a throttle cable it won't fire at all, might be gunk that's got through the fuel line plus plugs look a bit past it (the only thngs ive not chsnged) so I will get some new ones

peter2b

Guest 2b cruising

Went out Sunday and really enjoyed some miles.

Heard a rattle underneath but all seemed good. No temp rise or loss of power.

Got home and lifted off the bonnet to find a coolant blanking plug missing and no coolant in rad.

Bought a tapered thread bung, filled it back up and found no leaks.

With great trepedition, I started the engine. Wow nothing seems amiss.

Went for a good 100 mile blast with a neighbour yesterday and everything went great.

Think I have also converted the neighbour. He enjoyed it so much, he is now talking about getting his own. Especially after letting him drive back.

Only one bad point. Turned out of the village onto main road behind a really slow geriatric. As soon as he turned off my foot kinda slipped on the gas pedal, and the gears somehow changed from 4th to 2nd.

Over the hill I went with a grin on my face.

My neighbour shouted CAMERA.

Oooops I said heavy on the brakes.

Don't know if he got me at about 60 in a 40.

Will let you all know.

Edited by 2b cruising

I've finally managed to fit in a Sunday afternoon to finish off the Exmo.

Fixed a shorting headlight problem........bled new fluids through.....and put the rest of the car back together.

I'll give it a wash tonight and hopefully tomorrow have my first drive out in 6 months!!!

Feeling really pi55ed off right now!!! and having a rant.......

Having squeezed the v8 back into the Exmo and getting it all finished last weekend.....I changed my plans with my dad this morning, and instead fixed a simple water leak on the engine so I could take drive it down to stoneleigh.....(not yet been out it it)

Dipped the clutch......into reverse......lift clutch......nothing :(

having changed the clutch slave cylinder when taking the engine out (nothing wrong with the old one, just decided to fit a new one as a good measure)......it appears the new cylinder doesn't retract as far as the old one so its leaving the clutch permanently disengaged.

Feeling very pee'd off right now......as both clutches were for a ford Galaxy....but this new clutch had some very minor differences in appearence......but clearly it also doesnt retract as far as the one I originally had.

So I've thrown my teddy out the pram with the bl00dy Exmo and as I seem to only have enough time and motivation for one car at a time, so the zetec supercharger will have to take priority.....and I'll sort the Exmo in a month or so's time when the zetec is done..

Spent the morning instead making a robot with jess for her school project.....cheered me up somewhat teaching her how to weld and then seeing her do it by herself :)

Edited by steamer
  • Like 1