Has Anyone Fitted A Diesel Engine

blue

Guest 2b cruising

Another slight problem would be the comparatively low revs. 5000 against 6,7 and many more from popular bike engine cars that the younger generation seem to prefer for there speed.

You would need the correct RWD ratios and then it would not be anything like as quick as the equivalent petrol powered car.

It would make a decent touring car but without soundproofing, that once again would not help with heat dissipation.

I know of a couple of different type kit car with diesel powered cars but none of them Severn type.

With many many a clever kit car owner being capable of conversion, extremely few people have carried this out. It would not be an unpopular conversion without its reasons.

Then again this is only my own opinion, and I am of a free spirited mind. Each to their own.

One of the kit car magazines covered a Westfield conversion a few years ago. Well more like 8 or so. You might find something in the back catalogue. I'm sure it was kitcar magazine. Westfield Wiesel was the headline I think.

it does intrigue me and i wondered about a sunflower oil powered seven. You'd probably want to exit the exhaust at the rear though as diesel fumes aren't healthy!

might find the torque is a bit much in such a light car resulting in wheel spinning rather than forward motion.

I do like the D-rod from sin city motors which has a 400hp turbo diesel :crazy: http://www.welderup.com/images/gallery/dieselRod/overlay-1.jpg

most things are possible, given enough time and money :)

Guest 2b cruising

Yes drifters do use them for the reason given by agent zed. Easy peasy for you to get the rear end out.

The D Rod is fitted with a big cc engine and well overfueled. You would not get away with the smoke in Europe. And the poisonous fumes is why they have uprigh stacks.

Veggie oil is pre heated by an exchanger fitted to the exhaust to thin the oil, and are usually started on normal diesel. Masses of tech as in fuel type usage, managed by engine burn temp.

Not an impossibility but blooming eck, costs would be phenomenal, and irretrievable by MPG savings.

HGV's use the system but do around 100k + kilometres a year.

It would be something special though.

Edited by 2b cruising

David Walton did fit a diesel into a hood.

http://www.rhocar.org/index.php?showtopic=31672&hl=

It ran on chippy oil (at least it smelled like chips when it went past you) and cost next to nothing to run.

And I do recall him apologising for beating most of the petrol powered ones at a track day.

The exhaust he re routed (as I remember) from the offside then around the front of the engine to exit out the

other side.

Andi

Edited by Andi

I was at that track day.

He only won because nobody following him could see the track. :)

The start line marshall moved his location 10 feet backwards after David's

first racing start..

But it was very quick.

Edited by Bob Tucker