Near Miss

Andi

Driving back from the End Of Season Bash down one of the many dodgy single tracked roads.

Sometimes you just get a certain feeling (like a spiderman sense)when approaching a bend, and so slow down a bit.

Well glad I did because I was not ready for what came thrashing round the corner.

A horse at running at full pelt, all saddled up and had thrown its rider, who I found a few hundred yards away. I swerved out of the way and gave the angry pedal some abuse to scare the thing from jumping on my head.

Horse and rider were both ok and it came back to its owner after 5 minutes of running away.

It was bleeping close though.

Andi

Not all horse owners are arrogant!! Nothing worse than sitting on horse back being able to hear but not see car/bike coming and knowing full well driver/rider can't see you and being able to do nothing but sit hold tight and hope!! Remember the horse was mans transport long before the car arrived and if there's horse poo on the road (which is mainly grass by the way)there could well be a horse around the next corner!!

I'm very glad everyone is okay, with valuable lessons learned and shared. Personally I have no issue with horses or the riders or drivers of horses. As the good book (Road Craft) says: dont go so fast that you cant stop within the distance you can see to be clear. We can all get on using a bit of discipline (if we have been educated, another story). It's a crying shame the level of horsemanship is so low at least around where I live: riding on the pavements, slouching, loose reins, chatting, texting on horseback. These are habits which make the above comments of 'keep them in fields' seem almost reasonable. Horse riders are letting their side down at least around where I live (some, not all).

Edited by GambolGold