Carb Rebuild

jaimo

right been on car for half an hour tonight took rocker cover off all good under there not sure what cam is but prob standard 1800

check all carb over again while it was off all seems good

checked dizzy cap and arm thought i had done that and to be honest dont look great so get them orderd in a minute

the dizzy looks okay will check vacum opration etc as soon as fill with coolant again and run up and cap and arm come also i got a brand nw coil so am gonna put that on as cant hurt

cant find spark plug socket so will report on that when find it

pics below

post-13351-0-74332000-1461183877_thumb.jpg

post-13351-0-73082900-1461184102_thumb.jpg

post-13351-0-68076400-1461184184_thumb.jpg

post-13351-0-48670000-1461184240_thumb.jpg

Guest lotusPaul

Valves done and timing set..I think from there were looking at fuel under load. You said you striped and rebuilt carb in quick time!! I'd have a look at that again to ensure internal fuel filter is ok and jets are set correctly.

When I went to buy my car all seemed fine; car started first time, revved up nicely and drove round the lanes great so bought it and drove it home. On the fast run back down the A38 I found exactly the same problems as you. Car struggled to get past 60/70. Got it home and found 1 spark plug had no electrodes on it and another was completely fouled up - it looked like a toffee apple! Other plugs had their gaps too wide. Exhaust valve clearances were closed up, I think 2 of them were at 4 thou. Then found timing was out as well. I can't believe that the engine would start and apparently run as well as it did. Only the fast run showed the problems up.

Guest lotusPaul

Jaimo

There was a fantastic offer posted above, I think you should get it to stoners and let it be looked at. I'll be trying to get there but from Germany so probably won't bring tools. If your going then take all the tools you need in case of break down. I think that's your best bet.

Paul

Honestly, I'm starting to think you are just expecting a bit much out of approximately 80hp.

Did you work out your diff ratio?

I run a 1600 pinto with a 32/36 and it will pull 95 on a private road and will do 80+ in third. I think I would be looking at vacuum leaks or drawing air somewhere.

• Like 1

When you re-check the timing, dont just check idle timing.

Rev up the engine gradually to about 3500 rpm and make sure the timing

is advancing up to a max of approx 37 degrees BTDC.

Stoneleigh is your best bet for advice.....probably far too much...

Take someone out for a ride who has a good working knowledge of pintos.

• Like 2