Zetec Oil Pressure

blue

Hi all

ok I'm running a new 2.0 black top with say 1200 miles on her now

anyway I nought a smiths flight oil pressure gauge and matching sender at Stoneleigh

having installed the said items this weekend on a cold start the gauge moves to the 7 bar mark and stops as that's the highest level the gauge reads if left to warm up it sits around the 5bar mark with anything over idle the oil pressure increases back to the max mark and I wondered if any of yous have the same thing

now I know these new engines have good oil pressure and it's not something I'm concerned about I'm just wondering if there is perhaps a gauge that reads say 9bar rather then the gauge sitting at max all the time

7 Bar (approx 100psi) sounds high.

All smiths electrical guages need to run of a 10V stabilised supply, if you have not done this then the guage will read high.

Smiths voltage regulators are widely available new for about £10, The body needs to be earthed, the power is to the "B" terminal and the instrument is to the "I" terminal.

One voltage regulator is good to power up to 3 guages.

Some of these need mounting with an indicator arrow pointing up.

Guest 2b cruising

Above more common than people think.

They also do the opposite to.

Unseat early now and then leading to a temporary lapse in oil pressure.

Hi bought both gauge and sender from digital speedos and he knows he's stuff

there's no earth to fit on the sender it just screws into the block with one wire up to the gauge

one thing I have noticed is that there are two oil take offs on the zetec block one next to the oil filter and one about 8 inches further back that my sender screws into but ford has put there sender into the one next to the oil filter so maybe that's the reason for the high reading on the gauge.

with two oil pressure takeoffs on the block maybe ford were thinking of turboing it from the factory

Guest 2b cruising

Should be no pressure difference in the same gallery as long as there is no feed to something else between the two take off points.

Hi bought both gauge and sender from digital speedos and he knows he's stuff

there's no earth to fit on the sender it just screws into the block with one wire up to the gauge

one thing I have noticed is that there are two oil take offs on the zetec block one next to the oil filter and one about 8 inches further back that my sender screws into but ford has put there sender into the one next to the oil filter so maybe that's the reason for the high reading on the gauge.

with two oil pressure takeoffs on the block maybe ford were thinking of turboing it from the factory

Smiths flight gauges have a four wire plug with three wires, not a single wire.

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200962666597

Think you have the earlier Smiths gauge, not flight

did you use sealant / ptfe on the sender threads when installing? this would add resistance affecting the reading. Should be installed clean