Quickshift 101

nelmo

OK, I know what a quickshift on a bike does but that just allows clutchless changes on an already sequential gearbox - what does it do on a kit car? Does it make the box effectively sequential by letting you change up/down a gear without the clutch?

Sorry if dumb question....

There used to be an old article in the newsletter from Dave Andrews on how to do this to a standard stick. It really doesn't warrant £120. I picked up a complete stick with shorter throw for £40 off eBay. As said, it really wasn't to attempt quicker shifts (a bad idea on the type 9!), but just to free up space between my knuckles and the dashboard!

Guest 2b cruising

Do you know what box you want to fit one to.

Two types on Sierra. Type 9 and the mt 75.

Type 9 has a removable bell housing where the mt 75 is all one casing.

Make sure which you have before you buy anything.

Making your own is simple to do. Look on the site under quick shift.

you can tell between type 9 and mt75 by where reverse is.

Type 9 is push down then hard left and forward.

MT75 is lift guard and back from 5th.

incidently the mt75 was the first mass production box with syncromesh on reverse.

You will definately need a short throw on the zero due to the small distance between the gear stick and the dash.

The type of gear stick will depend on your gear box.

The type 9 gear box extends back to the gear stick hole in the tunnel and the modification is made to the gear stick.

I know of 3 options in order of cost

1. DIY following the Dave Andrews method

2. DIY using the rally design kit where you cut the sierra gear stick and jiggle the ball to alter the pivot point and fit a spacer between turret and stick.

3. Bolt a new gear stick with a short throw from Rally Design.

The MT75 needs a remote gear linkage in the zero GBS sell this and I believe it is always a short throw by design.

technically speaking you probably have already got a quicker shift than the standard sierra as the stick has most likely been shortened significantly.

Purely by shortening the stick you have altered the leverage and will not have to move your hand as far to change gear as it will move in a shorter arc.

The kits and diy mods will decrease the leverage further. The flip side of this is that the stick will be harder to move.

I run a home shortened type 9 shift it is both shorter in length (cut down) and quicker ( spaced up after pivot moved as described by Dave Andrews and others)

The type 9 shift is very good as standard, the short shift version is just that bit slicker when pushing on.

The MT75 needs a remote gear linkage in the zero GBS sell this and I believe it is always a short throw by design.

I will have an MT75 - is the £130 GBS option my only choice? I was wondering why there was so much metalwork on the GBS quickshift compared to the one on RD.