New Mot Rules

philshelton

Found out yesterday if your car fails mot even if you take it for test 2 weeks before it's due you can not drive it on the road till it passes. Also if it passes you only get mot from that date not the date it was due, so you will lose the 2 weeks.

cant you still take it to a place of repair? which can be home if you do it yourself, ?

or get a decent garage who will "bend" the rules slightly, of course you need to know them very well and they trust you to do it, I know of one such garage lol 8) 8) :rofl:

Ref the start date, on the MOT certificate for my motor home it states;

"To preserve the anniversary of the expiry date, the earliest you can present your vehicle for test is 19th August 2016".

It actually expires 18th September 2016, so I make that a month before that you can have the vehicle MOT'd

Or do you mean if it fails only and then retest from that date

Edited by John still building

The company I work for uses a garage that only does MOT's.............so how would it work if they failed a car as they don't carry out repairs at the garage?

Basically you'd have to trailer the car away....get it repaired.....trailer it back for the retest?

Edited by steamer

just to add i recall there was something along the lines of 'vehicle is too unsafe to be allowed to be driven to a place of repair' so you would have to trailer or have the garage repair it there if that happens.

Hopefully the law is sensible enough to allow people to return home to repair (which is no different to driving it to another garage) as long as the above does not apply.

It makes sense to me i guess, if your car is not roadworthy it should not be on the road. The test is just a test your car should pass at any point of the year. I wouldn't want to drive my car for 2/3 weeks knowing it failed on something. If you had an accident and killed someone it would be hard to live with knowing that it was in a time when it failed it's mot, obviously slightly different if it is non-working rear wiper rather than a worn tie-bar bush but you never know whats going to happen.

Last year my corolla failed on emissions, I added a bottle of something I bought from car spares place to the fuel, drove it for a week, then returned for retest and got a pass. This year, the same happened, but after 10 days it still didn't pass, I didn't want to spend any money on the car so sold it.

I wonder how this would work when not being able to drive the car after a fail?

(The garage suggested replacing the cat. as that might get the car to pass)

Nick

Rules for trravelling to mot are same as for IVA. You may drive to a pre booked inspection or pre booked appointment at a place of repair so long as the vehicle is adequately insured.

If you dont have a valid MOT then your insurance is invalid so the insurance company have a get out and we all know what they are like. the old rules gave you 7 days to get you car re tested and as long as your old mot was still in date you were fine.

Your insurance is valid for driving to and from a pre-booked appointment though. The important bit there iss pre-booked, in the event of a claim you have to be able to prove you were on your way to an appointment, so right location and garage confirm you had an appointment booked etc. I have checked and double checked this both for MOT and IVA to know that I am covered. The only issue that arises is if you breakdown, your RAC/AA wont cover you for recovery if you aren't taxed.

anyone know if there is an acceptable distance to a garage. I think it's normally 'reasonable' distance and left in a grey area but i would assume ~10 miles is probably reasonable but 100miles is not, given that there will be available garages far closer to home. Does this come down to common sense by the traffic police?

I travel ~4 miles to the garage i use but there are probably 4 (at least) closer than that.

just out of interest.

Guest Ian & Carole

I believe you are only allowed to drive the vehicle to a place for repair or to a pre booked MOT.

Edit for more detail:

From here: https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/after-the-test

From the goverment web site this morning.

6. Retest after a repair

In some cases your vehicle can have a partial retest for free or a reduced MOT fee.

Leaving your vehicle for repair

You only need a partial retest if you leave the vehicle at the test centre for repair and it’s retested within 10 working days. There’s no fee for this.

Taking your vehicle away for repairs

You can take your vehicle away if your MOT certificate is still valid.

You can only take your vehicle to or from somewhere to be repaired if your MOT has run out.

Conflict as always.

Guest mower man

Usual right hand does not know what left has written or lump on shoulder has decided ,hasent changed in 30+ years ,when I was last doing tests progress whats that ? testing we have to have bullpoo we can do with out mick :aggressive: