Kit Car Research

WallerZ

Hi All,

I am in the middle of my dissertation, titled: “Designing a high performance, low emissions, two-seater road car.” Basically my initial thoughts went straight to the kit car market, essentially the Locost/Caterham/Zero etc section.

My reason for posting is that I require some background information and where else best to get it?? I have 2 questions:

1) Why did you build/buy a Kit Car over…for example, a more weather-proof fast car/track day car?

2) What do you look for in a kit car? (Aesthetics, performance, comfort) Essentially, what is the biggest contributor when it comes to this type of vehicle and/or choosing which to do?

That’s all for now,

Thanks all,

Zach

Guest peter2b2002

Hi Zach, when I hit the 50 mid life crisis, I said to swmbo wot should I get a kit car or a bit of tottie, she said tottie or a bike but I went for a kit car instead, then rather than getting a motor bike ( I didn't want to become a doner) and after looking a a load of 7 types at Harrowgate show I went for a 2B+ due to it's strong chassis, i still get a grin when driving it

peter2b

Hi Zach, I bought my kit car (1600 Exmo) as I have always wanted to build one but never had the time while I was working, now I am retired I have even less time, so a pre-built one was acquired. The joys of working on a car that I can understand what is going on and repair has a lot to do with the joys of ownership. I went for a 1600cc as I have always enjoyed driving a low powered car quickly, having rallied Minis in my youth, a long time ago. As .peter2b says you never loose that big grin you had on your first drive.

alantoon

i opted for a pre built one as same did not have the finances or time to build my own.so got one ready registered and stripped it back to redo how i wanted it,never looked back realy the joy of driving one and the fun factor is all part of it too.

when I hit the 50 mid life crisis

Me too!!

I had a few reasons to buy the kit....I wanted to start a project to share with my 18 year old son,

I wanted a convertible ( I already had a sensible, weatherproof, air con, hi-fi equipped car)

I first saw a Lotus 6 when I was 7 & couldn't believe it could be used on the road....to me it looked like a real racing car. Still does!

I've been into motorsport all my life, but the idea of having a race car that could only be used a few weekends per year didn't appeal to me.

As an idea, Ray has owned his Corvette for 7 years....it has been on the drag strip for less than 30 minutes.....

so a road car that looked like a race car ticks all my boxes.

HTH Bob

Hi Zach

I had my mid life crisis a bit early - hit 40 this year and bought myself a 2B ready built as I didn't have the time to build one. Ive always liked this type of car ever since being a teenager (yep I can remember that far back). What can I say, the looks, the noise, the acceleration....... But most of all the smile it puts on your face every time you turn the key and start the engine. You may turn into a hooligan to start with but the sheer pleasure it gives you each time you drive it makes it all worth while when you are out in it no matter what the weather :)

I bought mine fully built and iva'd due to time and garage constaints.

I bought it as I have a bmw with all the mod cons and fancied something a little silly.

I always admire the lotus 7 but as that was out of budget my 2b fitted the bill

I wanted some speed and handling but mostly fun..i couldn't care about a roof and practicality.

1. I built my car as I wanted the challenge and also the satisfaction that it was something that I had acheived. I would also know that I had built it to a standard that I was happy with. I knew where the parts came from and that they were new. Another important factor for me was that I could buy parts for the build as and when I could afford it without going in to debt to pay for it. I didn't have the cash to buy a ready built car that I would have been happy with. I was also able to build it to my specification, i.e. a touring car and not a track car.

2. I chose the Seven style car due to the simplicity of the design and a simpler build (I wouldn't have to deal with door shut lines and so on) and the perceived cheaper cost (not that it perhaps turned out that waY!!). I have the car due to its performance, and the fact that it is individual, there isn't another one like it. There are other Zeros (obviously) but none the same as mine (that I know of).

1 I bought a kit for the fun of building it, making it my own. It's bespoke as they say in the tailoring world. Made to fit me with lots re-designed to do just what I wanted it to, not what some mass manufacturer thought I might need. I know every nut, bolt, panel, wire, etc and can tune, modify, change any feature I can imagine an improvement of. Can't say I thought about emissions or mpg for more than 10 seconds during the build!

2 For me it's all about performance. 200bhp and weighs700KG. 70mph comes up pretty quickly. One day I might fit a turbo or supercharger and see how it goes with 300bhp. Not much on the roads and that includes supercars can come close below 100mph.

Nigel

Hi Zach,

Q) Why did you build/buy a Kit Car over…for example, a more weather-proof fast car/track day car?

A) For me it was (is) about the building of the kit. After 20 odd years "on the tools" I got a desk job and a hobby working with metal and machines appealed, plus I've always wasted money on cars so why break the habit of a lifetime!

Q) What do you look for in a kit car? (Aesthetics, performance, comfort) Essentially, what is the biggest contributor when it comes to this type of vehicle and/or choosing which to do?

A) Price and not just a bolt together, Robin Hood's are infinitely modifiable......I've yet to see 2 the same :)

Cheers

Nigel

Guest Gargoil

This is my second MLC and had to be done according to SWMBO. I would have loved a dog (something to keep me occupied) but time restraints would mean the poor mutt would be alone during the day. Not a good thing, according to many.

Everyone I know seems to be in to bikes and encouraged me to become a biker. However my skill on bikes is dwarfed by my lack of riding ability and reaction times. I, like Peter2B, didn't want to become someone elses spare parts. Also, I would never be able to get the love of my life on a bike, but she will sit happily in the passenger seat. Then there is the thrill of it all, fast into a corner and hey presto, no roll! Drive a "normal" car after an hour in the RH and it's like driving a bus.

It probably won't lose it's value, is cheap to ensure and gets photographed a lot (didn't expect that one).

Why this type of car? It needed to be different to live with. I had a taster with my first kit, a Banham X21, and enjoyed the rough edge to it. Bikers say one of the reasons they like to ride is because they are closer to nature as apposed to being fully enclosed in a tin top. It's similar with the RH, no roof, no doors and a lot of wind. Oh, and lets not forget the smells, the smells that you don't get in your regular driver. Fuel/exhaust fumes, the tire on the truck ahead overheating, the vans clutch ready to expire, the spreading of whatever the local farmers spread, and the good stuff too, like early morning dampness, fields freshly cut, fuel/exhaust fumes. Then, when you have had enough, it's back to the comfy diesel car where if you crash heavily, there's a chance of surviving........the best of all worlds. :rolleyes:

Cheap to run and insure, robin wasn't expensive to buy. A built one holds it's value.

I wanted to build one, but knew I would never finish it so brought a built one. What pushed me over the edge was the one I brought was unloved, it was built but never driven.

I look for looks, practicality and price ( the order of the last 2 can be swapped!) also the attitude of the owner groups and the manufacturer.... Not a fan of arrogance.

I can't remember when I first found out about Kit Cars. I know I sent off for details of something called a GP Talon whilst still at school (Beetle based full bodied car) I read about Robin Hood Sports Cars in a magazine article and visited the Sherwood factory on an open day for a passenger ride in the demo car (Early Sierra Based). I then got the money, garage and support from SWMBO all at the same time, so bought a Kit direct from the factory at Mansfield Woodhouse, Joined this Club and forum, built over a 2 to 3 year period and enjoyed ever since.

My main criteria were, cost, build it myself and no painting to do (Stainless). I never thought of track days or performance, just wanted a tourer.

HTH

Nick

After virtually a lifetime buying, restoring, and running British motorbikes (44 at the last count) my chassis was feeling the test of time (bad back from a bike accident in the 70s) and now needing a new knee, I needed a compromise. I tried looking at the usual classic cars, MG, Spitfire etc but found them difficult to get in and out. I found I could get in and out of a RH 2B quite easily, (without the hood up!!!!) At 68 years old 'm too old to do any building, so I buy, run, and improve each car a little then move on to a nicer more expensive 7 replica. I own now what I believe is "a keeper" it isn't a Kit as such, its a bespoke one off, built from scratch (looks quite different from any other 7 replica) Being an old sod, the aesthetics are more important than the "go" What else could you buy at very reasonable cost, head turning looks, fast enough to make you feel good, cheap insurance, classic looks but with fairly modern reliability

• 3 weeks later...
Guest snowy2

My first build was in 1989 after working in a scrap yard doing up several cars and selling them, i made a bet that i could build a car and put it on the road for under £500, back then i easily did it coming in at about £300. it was not what you would call high performance having a top speed of about 85mph (citroen 2cv powered) but in 18 months i covered over 18000 miles in it up and down the country and to this day i reckon it was my best and favourite car so far. i have since gone on to build/rebuild about a dozen kit cars having 3 at present.

why? i like the challenge, and i dislike spending huge amounts of money on an essentially depreciating asset that is basically a tool to get me to work and back every day. besides i dont smoke/drink and never had any kids even though i been married twice, so what else is there to spend my money on :-)

I have built high performance cars and driven some truly mental performance cars, not one of them was more fun to drive than the first i built. Faster yes lots faster but not more fun and they were all with out exception way more expensive to run so never lasted very long. these days i choose standard engines 1.6 - 2.0L in size and work with the performance they come with. which because they are usually in a car that weighs 600kg or thereabouts makes them still fun and lively to drive. and i have a car that is a practical every day car to run costs wise.

i have never been interested in track days but i do like long distance touring, 4 times into France Germany Holland with my kitcars now and i intend to drive to Rome this or next year for a holiday.