Best Car For Towing

deano266

Hi i am looking at getting a trailer for my Robin Hood Superspec but dont know the actual weight of it as there is no documentation for it. The main thing we want is to be able to know roughly how much the car weighs and what good estate cars are good for towing it to and from track days

Thanks

Deano

Superspec will be between 720 kg & 800 kg.

For the towcar look for a short overhang behind the axle....estate cars are not the best in that respect

a bigg(ish) torquey engine...probably diesel for economy & torque & a

low first gear.

We used a Dodge Ram (6 litre V8 auto) to tow the Vette (at 10mpg), but we now use a diesel Merc

sprinter van that is far better all round.

Bob

Guest chrispine

Looking to get a Transit campervan, petrol/lpg, for towing and somewhere half decent to sleep for weekends at Long Marsdon, hillclimbs and track days etc, also to be used as daily transport so looking at swb for ease of parking.

Guest Gargoil

Deano, the car and trailer are only the beginning, when it comes to towing. Obviously the bigger the tow car the better but check on manufacturers towing limits.

What really matters is loading and nose weight, ignore them at your peril. A badly loaded trailer is worse than using an unsuitable tow car.

A lot of caravan forums and sites, like the caravanning club will have guidelines, if you are not used to towing. It's all good info and worth reading.

Personally I would go for a full sized 4x4, just about all of them are capable of towing the trailer and car with a margin to spare, however if it is an estate you want, for reliability, economy and power, a Volvo V70 D5 is difficult to beat. Plus with those comfy seats, you are going to arrive relaxed, not agitated.

Go for an automatic if available it takes a lot of the hassle out of towing. Most diesel turbo engines apart from really new ones suffer from turbo lag, much less noticeable with an auto. Or go for a jeep grand Cherokee v8 as we did for a couple of years until it became unreliable. It had an lpg conversion and would return an equivalent of about 30mpg pricewise.nicest car we ever had

Guest chrispine

Not actually weighed mine but in SVA docs it says front axle 338kg and rear axle 352 kg, giving total 690kg without driver, factor in my weight and we're in M5 territory.....

Guest peter2b2002

best towing cars i,ve ever had were a C reg 3.5 Range Rover (5 speed g/box) for towing a horse trailer and show trailer, then a Disco P reg (5 speed g/box also towing a horse trailer and14 ft flat bed trailer and a 26 ft caravan, then a 3.9 Ltr auto Range Rover H reg for towing a stock trailer and horse box, now I have a 2 lrt Mondeo that pulls our ifor williams stock trailer

peter2b