Lack Of Power To One Wheel

theduck

Guest chris brown

As Chris says rubber doughnut type joints definitely need changing for UJs as a loose prop shaft about 3in from your leg and hip is not a nice thought.

Guest 2b cruising

I think it sounds like brake pad grab.

Brake shoes are usually trailing type. The drums have only one cylinder so one of them is the leading type. They must be on the correct way round or else you can get this brake snatch phenomenon.

If you have put these on the wrong way round, the drum could snatch the brake pad pulling it hard on into contact. It then drops out when the wheel stops until you get it spinning up again.

This was why you thought the brakes were free when you spun them by hand.

Hi Simon. Duck mentioned earlier that it is rear drums, not discs.

What does the brake pedal feel like? Rock hard? If so jack up a front wheel and see if the front brakes are binding as well. If so it's a residual pressure problem from the master cylinder pushrod not having clearance to allow fluid drainback when released. At least it's a suggestion you can easily test for.

Wasn't it only MT75 props that had the rubber doughnut?

Nigel

Edited by Longboarder

Wasn't it only MT75 props that had the rubber doughnut?

Yes Nigel you are right they are fitted to the MT75 prop with a 6 hole pattern.

They were fitted to the 4-speed box with the 2.0L pinto engine and to the early type 9 box with a 3 hole pattern with the shaft moulded into the rubber but the 1.6L had a U/J fitted.

post-936-0-35632200-1431127197_thumb.jpg

post-936-0-54684100-1431127212_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

As Richyb66 says that "The thing I don't get is that with the prop unbolted from the diff and the box in neutral, I had to use a big screwdriver and a fair bit of effort to turn the prop". Then it points to a gearbox problem. The binding brakes must be a recent problem as it checked out on IVA.

Hi Simon. Duck mentioned earlier that it is rear drums, not discs.

Okay, I knew that. :) I did mention leading and trailing above, I just forgot that they are called "shoes" not "pads" !

A bit of brain fade there. (Not had the 'dubious' pleasure of brake fade yet though :) )

Simon.

Agreed, we had problems with the cable sticking on the quadrant. Can you get in there with a 1/2” brush on a stick and thoroughly grease the quadrant groove and pivot and repeatedly operate the handbrake? Get some thick grease from a tub, not spray stuff.

Guest 2b cruising

Are the adjusters working evenly.

Normal one drum fault would be caused by oval its.

This would also have shown up on brake roller test and is a fail point after as small allowance.

RS had a lot of the early cars shorten the early 3 joint prop by removing the middle section.

The Sierra had donut behind the gearbox to UJ near center body mounted bearing ( kept the donut straight ) to UJ near the diff.

removing the center section gave a cheep way of shortening the prop the problem being that the donut now had to cope with more than 1 degree out of alignment and failed. Numerous coments in BOYS IN HOODS from the mid 90s about how loud the shaft was rattling round the tunnel when the donut gave out. I am not aware of any actually bursting out of the tunnel but many large dings.