Terminal Split?

alanh65

You have the basis of another Sierra based kit already, a good part of the cost. So the 3 may be prove to be dead, but maybe something can rise from its asses, so to speak.

Fingers do the keyboard walking -- maybe need sat-nav help, or is this a freudian slip.

• Like 1

Guest mcramsay

Personally that kind of damage would scare me enough to walk away from the car, maybe now is the time for a zero chassis and to use the rest as donor parts? Either way it's makes for a gutting end to the year!!

All the best for whichever route you decide to take!

As somebody famous once said, this is not the end, it is not even the beginning of the end but maybe it is the end of the beginning. Good old winston. Try to use it as an opportunity to upgrade the car, as you say it would be sad to lose it. Money permitting of course

Guest mcramsay

If you are going to fix I would ( and I'm sure you don't even need telling!) check every weld with dye penetrant. You can buy the aerosols on eBay, you will be surprised the defects you can see when the dye is applied. If one weld has gone then you may have other ones on the way out that have not failed yet.

Guest mower man

The problem on mono cars came from the insane factory fit front springs and the use of the donor anti roll bar plus thpoor choice of material for the suppossed front beam ,it was never safe, as posted my s7/3 had the seirra front cross member and only suffered with minor cracking which was easily rectified , fitting tie bars and 120 lb front springs [ the orig were 180] gave a car that was a pleasure to drive and covered many miles with no further problems. Any thing can and has been repaired ok its time and money but thats life!!! :sorry: If this seems like a rant I'm sorry mick

Guest micha_1

we once owned a series3 car which was still original after years on the road....but it was handed over each 5 or 6 months to a new owner....when we came back home and unloaded the car from the trailer we recognized why:

the complete front was flexing during (slight) braking...it was a horror to drive with this car.

we did a lot of stabalizing, brazing etc...than immediately sold the car as it was still cr*p. the new onwer sold it again after 3months....

such cars should be taken of the road by the VOSA or DVLA...the constructions / designs from RH are dangerous!!!!

do yourselves a favour:: quick repair (weld), sell it at fleebay and buy something different.

glad nobody was hurt!!!!

Edited by Comadis

If, as you imply, the car is dangerous and should be taken off the road - there is no way I would do a 'quick repair' and pass the vehicle on to someone else!

My children and grandchildren have enjoyed trips in this car and any repair carried out will be to a standard higher than the original build quality.

In this instance I know the repairer probably has higher standards than even me.

I don't think you really meant your post to read as it does - if you did then I would never buy a car from you!

Sorry if this sounds rude, I'm sure you didn't mean to sound callous.

• Like 2

I,ve seen good and bad examples of of any kit car that can be named. A lot depends on the build quality and that depends on the skill of the builder to a great extent. if the repairs to Alan's car are carried out to a high standard and the areas given a bit more strength then there is no reason why many more years of safe motoring shouldn't be enjoyed. My 3A was built in 1997, I have owned it for the best part of 14 years, yes, cracks have had to be repaired and I have upgraded the front end cross channel but that's all part of owning a kit car. Besides, don't production line cars have to be repaired sometimes. !!!

• Like 2

I want to "nip in the bud" comments like Comadis posted.

There have been some issues in the past with the Monocoques usually some cracking in the corners of the engine bay, these are well documented with easy fixes.

One of the functions of this Forum from the very start was to engineer out the issues that came out of the Robin Hood factory and to aid construction of the different marks.

The cracking issue is not common place I have only seen on here a few examples that were fixed with ease.

The issue that started this thread is rare, very rare and this is the first I have heard of such a large failure.

I posted that it looked like the original welding had hardened the surrounding metal and others posted that if the upper wishbone rocker had sized or was stiff this would stress the support.

I think a combination of these factors and a lack of maintainable in this area was the cause as many have fitted a grease nipple to the pivot and secured the pivot rod to the support reducing the stress in this area.

I for one check my car in this area and to date have had no issues.

Now if you want to talk about catastrophic failures that should have a complete mark of cars taken of the road I give you the wishbone failures of the Haynes roadster and others such as the MK before extra plates were welded in and the extremely dangerous alloy top wishbone camber adjusters that many fitted that the top ball joint pulled out of or the threaded part just broke and pulled out of the wishbone tube.

Or you could just buy a Zafera and burn to death.

Edited by Snapperpaul
  • Like 7

A quick look here http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/default.asp, shows that any manufacturer can get it wrong.

The difference here is that kits and their manufacturers do not have any recall system, and before SVA/IVA did not even need much checking to get on the road.

You can not rely on the MOT, that is a visual inspection, and from the pictures that started the topic it is clear that the offending part was hidden by some sort of sealer.

Whilst I must agree with Snapperpaul, some comments are less than helpful and only cause aggravation, and understandable defensive responses, should we also be realistic, for many who know about a vehicle, have built them, maintain them and are aware of their limitations and issues, the car will be perfectly safe and will continue to perform to its design characteristics.

For those that do not? particularly when there are those that are prepared to hide problems, possibly serious, life threatening problems?. Who is most likely to end up with those vehicles?, probably the least prepared to own them.

One of the functions of this Forum from the very start was to engineer out the issues that came out of the Robin Hood factory and to aid construction of the different marks.

Should we not be more open about this model? and as Sapperpaul has rightly pointed out, it is not the only vehicle that have known issues of poor design or component failure, and inform of measures and solutions to keep the kit car world, and by that, the general road going public, safe. Equally should we deplore and possibly sanction those that are prepared to put others at risk by hiding faults or keeping silent?

This time the only injury is to alanh65 bank balance, and knowing steamers work I have no doubt that it will end better than it could have done.

JMHO

Edited by knights_templar
  • Like 6