Help With My First Robin Hood Choice Please :-)

Guest compkiler

Guest compkiler

Hi guys. totally new to the kit car seen but have wanted one for a long time. I went to Tiger Racing last weekend and had a look at there cars and they look great.

So, ive been browsing on pistonheads and autotrader every now and then and came across this one.

Was it anyones here?

I want it to be reliable and i will be putting a full weather cover over her in the winter.

Is the price steep and any pros and cons?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201609107643836?search-target=usedcars&make=robin_hood&quicksearch=true&sort=default&radius=200&postcode=pe302ee&page=1&onesearchad=new%2Cnearlynew%2Cused&logcode=p&adPos=2

Thanks again.

Simon

I also think it's the lightweight Graham built for Dan. He did do a lot of modification to strengthen the monocoque but last I heard the diffs in both his cars were starting to move about in the 'chassis' and to get the diff out you have to de-construct the rear end of the monocoque. When the ally mono lightweight was conceived it was as a one season track car. Never really intended as a road car. Mild and stainless versions were also considered but never got built.

I have sat in that car and it did look superb. Still does. I wouldn't sit in it when it was moving. It does look good but I personally would not pay more than £2500 and would be using it as a donor.

Nigel

ps. He was a plumber which is sort of an engineer.

Edited by Longboarder

I cut up and scraped one of his lightweights and can say he overengineered his modifications. The fact he built a zero tels you the lightweight was not a road car. I know he wouldn't touch a lightweight again he only defended its design and build because he had so much investment in his build

This time of year it's a buyers market as plenty of people don't want to hang on to their cars over the winter. Several people on here who know better than me have said avoid the lightweight so I would reach for the bargepole if I was you. It does seem pricey anyway.

All the models faults and failings have been covered on this forum in infinite detail, have a look through and see which cars are the most popular. Obviously the newer models should have less faults but will be more expensive but you should be patient.

I am quite happy bumping around in my 1996 registered series 7 but you may want something newer or just being straight on the road without any work may be your priority.

Decide what you want before you do anything else.

Anyway welcome to the madhouse, this won't be the last time you are deliberating and grinding your teeth over which direction to go. You are not far from me really, when you get sorted we may be able to meet up for a trip to the seaside for ice cream and Cockles!

Pass it up.....

Its way overpriced, and is only likely to suffer irreparable breakages,

even given GDC's expertise. The trader selling it probably wont know (or hopes anyone buying it

wont know!) of the very troubled past all the lightweights went through.

A decent 2B will cost around 4-5k, & can give years of reliable fun.

Be patient....they do come up.

There may not be many for sale right now, because anyone selling one

has to accept lower prices, so many of us (me included) are hanging on until Spring,

when prices rise with the first sunny day.

Bob

Guest compkiler

Ok thanks guys for the heads up. Ill stay clear even tho she looks stunning. Personally im not to keen on the one above, no disrespect as someone else would love it but we all know a kind of look we want. The lightweight looked perfect to me so im after that look and that condition really if theres one out there...

Also as for meeting up Kevin, would be great :-) Let me get one first! Any decent builds on here with a zetec Black top would be good. :-)

In comparison to a 2b or zero.they are an xl car very much longer and wider .in my opinion it will be a great cruiser but no sports car. The small blocks arent revvy like a 4 pot.deoends what you want from a car..and ive no idea what spares are like for luego

Looks very nice and has a high spec of extras. I doubt the weight will bother you, it's been on the track just make sure you check corner weights etc. If you have had limited or no experience of driving these type of cars be careful with that much power and diff you could lose it in the first roundabout. Go for a test drive.