Help, Engine Will Not Start

MarkBzero

Got my timing kit off ebay but all you need is locking bar which can be made out of a bit of angled steel I use a dti gauge to get tdc I never bothered with the crank locking bolts I just recheck tdc and cam position once I have retightned pulleys

• Like 1

Thanks for all your help and advice, I have order a locking kit and already have a compression tester (i hope it is OK).

I hope this resolves the initial problem. I have just had a minor op so I will have to wait a few more weeks for stomach to heal before playing around with high torque settings and bending over, don't want my guts all over the garage floor! I doubt you guys could fix that.

Just out of curiosity why would this happen, it was driving OK 6 weeks ago?

Will do, not done any research yet but I was thinking 120-125psi would be normal.

But if any valves are damaged in my engine then I might as well get some head work done at the same time and fit better head gasket - which one did you fit?

I got the top end kit from the gasket shop on ebay but some of the gaskets in the set are for standard zetec so I am thinking the head gasket is a standard zetec gasket because the St170 runs at higher compression than standard zetecs so that could possibly be why I am not getting the Bhp figures I should be but I can't find out what psi I should be getting

Thanks for that CB been looking at buying a gasket and it will cost more than the kit I bought looking at £74 for head gasket and the gasket kit I bought was only £63 not saying that price reflects quality but I just want to make sure I get the right gasket

Thanks for that CB been looking at buying a gasket and it will cost more than the kit I bought looking at £74 for head gasket and the gasket kit I bought was only £63 not saying that price reflects quality but I just want to make sure I get the right gasket

I was looking on Burton's website they have many different thickness head gaskets. Not sure about the science, thinner equals higher compression will it ever be significant to make a difference that you feel on the road. But then if less displacement it would als mean less fuel air mixture in chamber therefore less power (could it be more economical?). I could just be talking rubbish but there must be an calculation to find peak performance between the two. Another consideration are thinner gaskets more prone to blown head gaskets.

On a positive note timing kit arrived today and new cam cover gasket/bolt seals. Not feeling strong enough to do timing yet maybe next weekend.

I might paint cam cover whilst waiting.....bored!

Timing was off, adjusted and checked twice, still not starting looks feels like ignition is firing when inlet valves are open on cylinders 3+4. I was going to compression test next but the ST170 spark plug holes are not threaded to the top so may adapters do not fit.

Ordered a specific part for zetec's with a longer threaded section. Waiting again, fingers crossed I don't have bent valves.

Edited by MarkBzero

Dry compression test, I think I am losing some pressure in the adaptors and extension. All lower than expected but not enough to think about bent valves and not to dissimilar to each other.

Last option waiting for new edis unit, I still think timing is wrong, firing when inlet is still open. New crank sensor and coil must be edis, to be honest I am not sure how edis works.

Cyl 1 - 115

Cyl 2 - 110

Cyl 3 - 115

Cyl 4 - 110

The gauge was cheap and not calibrated.

Edited by MarkBzero