Sign in to follow this  
MarkBzero

Fuel economy

Just about made it home running on fumes, I know I was driving slightly faster than normal and being second car in convoy we always use more fuel. So just wondering what mpg are others getting.

I have a Ford ST170 engine on twin 45's set up by rolling road using a megajolt ECU and VVT pro. What could I do to get get better mpg bit still retain the fun element when required? 

what mpg are you getting Mark.

By my rough calculation I reckon I did about 27 mpg yesterday. I think the fuel injection makes a massive difference because on over-run, the fuel is shut off so it's not wasted.

Since swapping from the carbed Pinto to the V8, I'm maybe only 15 miles range down on a tankful of fuel because I'm not having to thrash the knackers off it to make decent progress. Most of the time I'm changing up at 2000 rpm and it could probably stand a taller diff to drop the cruising revs (and noise) down a bit but the choice of ratios is a bit limited in the 7.5" diff.

2 hours ago, Andi said:

what mpg are you getting Mark.

Rough calculation between 17-18 mpg.

Mmm, injection or bike carbs should help. Or nitrous because I will get there quicker!

Not 100% sure bike carbs will help with fuel economy.  My old pinto with the ZX6R carbs would average about 23mpg on a steady run, but had it as low as 17 on a push!

I am hoping fuel injection helps going forward.

• Like 1

Fuel injection makes a huge difference! Definitely the way to go for economy. 

• Like 1

Agree 100%.   But don't forget the diff.   I am running a 3.62 diff on my fuel injected Superspec and regularly get 33-34 mpg.    AndyW has a 3.92 (I think) diff on his Superspec and gets appreciably less.

• Like 1

I can't say I've ever really thought about it but I would imagine somewhere in the mid twenties if I'm careful. I'll try to work it out when I put the car back on the road. I certainly won't be changing to fuel injection to get better economy, if I need economy there is a Ford ka outside

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this