Tracking & Camber

Hi Guys

I've just purchased my first Robin hood (love it! 😍) and am looking for recommendations in the midlands. I have attached a couple of pics but they don't really show the issue very well. The car I Have has a lot of negative camber on the rear. What should this be set to? Also why do so many tyre places that do tracking say that they cannot adjust the camber? I have rang 3 garages so far but no luck. I live between Coventry and Leicester so ideally somewhere in that kind of area.

2020-08-30_07_26_59.jpg

2020-08-30_07_27_16.jpg

Longboarder did a post last year with some details as below.

Camber wedge.jpg

I purchased a set from Peter Bell when he was making them @  £33.00 a set.

That did the caster and toe in for the rear tracking.

Regards

Martin

Edited by maca
Text added
  • Like 1

The camber corrector does two things, corrects the camber issue and also corrects toe so it will be thicker top front and thinnest bottom rear. You should get the cars geometry measured before fitting the wedges and after because you need to know what the numbers are. Toe out on the rear is not good.

Good idea! at the moment even when I'm driving very carefully on a damp road it is extremely twitchy at the back. - What if after the shim is fitted the numbers are still not acceptable? what would be the next step?

Edited by raystevenson

Raising the ride height of the rear will reduce all the above angles as well --- the problem is because our cars are set a lot lower than Ford intended.

Our back end still sits at an angle but tyre wear/profile is acceptable --- probably due to ride height as no wedges fitted --- didn't like the idea of the bolts being forced to work at an angle.

Ok I'm a bit out of my depth here, is the suspension adjustable? if so if I raise it it, will increase my camber? I could really use a recommendation of a garage that could look at my issue. I'm ok with general maintenance and electrical work but suspension is a bit out of my comfort zone :(

Edited by raystevenson

Raising the suspension will reduce the camber but it looks pants if you go too high. Camber wedges are the best solution if you're happy with the ride height. I have a similar camber on mine and whilst I have thought about wedges,  I've just lived with it as it is. Tyre wear is maybe a bit more that normal but in my case, I could lose far more rubber just sticking my foot down.

If you're going to the EOSB in your car, we could look at it there, otherwise maybe I could pop over some time as I'm pretty local.

• Like 1

The trailing arms are mounted on a subframe with a spindle that is angled.

Raising the suspension at the back will reduce camber and toe.

Depending on which kit and options you have you might have height adjustable coil over dampers at the back.

Or you could have standard sierra springs and seperate dampers where chngeing ride height requires spacers fitted at one end of each spring.

• Like 1