Supercharging An Mx5 Engine

richardm6994

Started some work on the charger today, getting it ready for nexts week. New ECU and Rolling road set up and a few other bits and pieces...

So started work on finding a place for the intercooler, after a bit of head scratching have worked how it will fit in...just about. So now on to the very nerve racking bit. :help: ...............cutting a bloody great hole in the bonnet. Wheres Marcus when you need him :rofl: :rofl:

So here goes. Tried to keep it in the lines of the side bulge but very quickly saw that wasn't going to be big enough. So opened up to suit...Cut a bit, try it, cut a bit more try again....After several nerve racking hours think I have just about got there and pretty pleased with the end result.

post-2721-0-98837200-1417887837_thumb.jpg post-2721-0-64960800-1417887887_thumb.jpg

Edited by tazzzzman1
  • Like 2

Got some mesh bent around and really chuffed with how it looks...You can even make out the logo on the charger :db:

post-2721-0-36847700-1417888175_thumb.jpg post-2721-0-96262600-1417888198_thumb.jpg

Bit of tidying up to do and i'm almost ready......better get the new underwear on my xmas list...think I may be needing some :rofl: :rofl: :crazy:

• Like 3

Hi Nigel

As Rich says. silicon just popped on to give an idea of fit. If you look you'll see no clips fitted...😃

Now I've worked out locations proper hoses on order....at £22 each I didn't want any mistakes...

Well just had a fantastic day at Roadrunner setting up the Canems ECU and the supercharger.

I'm having it dual mapped. 1st map will be relatively tame for normal road use.

2nd Map will be "Kamikaze" for that little bit extra :diablo:

So today was spent doing the initial set-ups, dialing in the vernier cams and a bit of wiring for the boost gauge etc...

1st map now set. Really chuffed. Power boost is almost instant. 1st Map now giving me 182lb's torque and 213Bhp. Compared to standard MX5 of approx 115 lb torque and 130bhp...A nice little gain.

Rolling road SR2 12-12-14.pdf

Even at this above 50mph the car was lighting up the rear tyres on the rolling road so three of us were sat on the back to add some weight...This car is going to be a bit lively me thinks... :crazy:

Next week we are working on the 2nd map and are expecting 230+bhp although we aim to keep a similar torque as this is getting close to max limits for the standard clutch,,,,watch this space.

All I can say is Rich....a testament to your skills mate...cracking job. What a Xmas present :drinks:

Edited by tazzzzman1
  • Like 3

Terry it sounds awesome! I'm so pleased it all works and that it was worth the effort.....you just be careful with all those extra ponies!! Oh....and post some photos of the finished installation....I'm dying to see :)

Zectecs aren't boring rob.....I was only messing about in my other topic as I wanted something different and there are loads of zetecs out there which is why I wouldn't consider it......nothing against the engine itself or other people's hard work that's gone into installing them.

I'm always up for new challenges......so if I can put my skills to good use and help a fellow hoodie thats fines by me. I'm booked up for the rest of this winter with machining work for Terry's dad, algee and Gary and then finally some improvements on the Exmo but after that I'll sort out another project that helps someone

Edited by steamer

Interesting graph.....great figures BTW

It looks like the power was still going up when it was shut off.

Hi Bob,

Yes power was still going up. We are pretty sure that Bhp figures showing are a bit lower as we had real issues keeping traction on the Rolling road...top revs shown on Rolling road are at 6500 rpm, however we were actually taking the car up to 7500 rpm...

Boost levels peaked at 9psi, but were constant at around 7...so some pretty good gains for the 1st map...

Terry, do you think you could get a lot more torque from it or just a bit more? If it's a lot would it be worth looking at an uprated clutch? Or is that one of the future plans.....

Hi Rob

Not quite sure how much more torque we can push, think it would be close to the 200lb mark. So for the smallish gain we are going on the side of caution. Add that to the fact that i'm now skint, we are aiming to do a map thats 1/ within budget, :sorry: 2/ Driveable......just :crazy: