Markbzero Building My Kit Car

MarkBzero

Guest Ian & Carole

IIRC Ford used a generic loom for most of there cars just leaving wires not required on specific models taped up in the loom, their reasoning was it was cheaper to make one loom.

I remember spending a whole weekend "pruning" out non-needed wiring from our loom, and the pile I had removed was much larger than the bit we eventually used.

I still get little bit out of the box of spare now and then for the odd job.

Throw nowt away.

Great build thread by the way, really enjoying reading it, thank you.

December 2009 - I visited GBS and asked Richard for a quote on the spec I want plus a few extra's and deletions from normal kit - if ordered by year the vat would not change. No chance still stripping and cleaning donor ancillaries.

post-4145-0-52945300-1393093905_thumb.jpg

January 2010 - I finally joined Rhocar, visited the forum on many occasions before for ideas. At this stage I would like to thank many members for sharing their valuable knowledge and experience.

post-4145-0-92707600-1393093923_thumb.jpg

Richard provided a reasonable quote, so I started saving again after paying out for the garage and parts that I didn't need at this stage of the build.

I visited two kit cars shows Stoneleigh and Newark, taking lots of photo's, drinking tea at the Rhocar stand and finally ordering the kit car.

Cost so far;

post-4145-0-34498900-1393094866_thumb.jpg

(This is the last time I show the costs, without wife knowing the true cost of the entire build)

The big day arrived to pick up the kit from the GBS factory, 7th June 2010. My dad wanted to help, so he left Cardiff at 05.00 to travel to Telford. We both traveled to GBS in a long wheel base van, stopping at a real trucker layby for an all day English breakfast (heart attack in the making).

When we arrived Richard took us into the factory and workshop, (much more impressive now, with the show room) to show some new mods and future plans for the Zero. He then gave us a check sheet to ensure I was getting what I paid for. I was impressed with the process most of my car was pre-loaded onto a trolley.

post-4145-0-81868500-1393102773_thumb.jpg

Part by part we loaded the into the van.

post-4145-0-91749400-1393102895_thumb.jpg

This was the picture that GBS used on their blog.

post-4145-0-58465000-1393102942_thumb.jpg

It was a long and exhausting day, but we managed to get back in time to unload the kit into the garage and return the van with no extra charges.

post-4145-0-24554000-1393103070_thumb.jpg

I have over 500 photo's of the build, far too many to load onto the forum. I used most of the normal kit car parts suppliers such as, CBS, Europa and Kit spares. I also used Halfords (trade card), B&Q, Maplins, Burton, Eurocarbs, Ashley Exhuasts, Wheelbase, Accuspark and ETB instruments. However excluding the Zero kit I spent more money on Ebay than any other supplier.

So, here goes MarkBzero Zero kit car;

Let the build begin!

I'll try to keep to some order, but I quickly found out that I had to build, strip and re-built most items 2 to 3 times because;

1. No detailed build manual

2. I had to take something off to fit another part

3. I wasn't happy with the finished product

4. I purchased another upgraded or better part

Been reading each update wishing you'd post quicker ;-)

Good read so far

Thanks 'theduck' time as always been very precious with this build. Hectic job, fostering and for the last 3 years I have been completing an MSc in night school.

It was your build thread that made made me start this one.

The first task I tackled was the back panel behind the seats. I had to trim some of the edges to fit the car exactly and to miss the welds.

post-4145-0-93003300-1393179315_thumb.jpg

Dry fit to ensure there would be no issues when using the drill and CBS polyurethane adhesive/sealant.

post-4145-0-85279700-1393179544_thumb.jpg post-4145-0-07707400-1393179607_thumb.jpg

I marked all the center lines and drilled the holes, before putting into place and marking the chassis.

post-4145-0-83350600-1393179707_thumb.jpg

All holes were cleaned and de-burred where necessary.

post-4145-0-77254800-1393179782_thumb.jpg

Finally with the aid of cleco tool and panel pins I fitted the panel with stainless steel rivets and adhesive.

First job done and happy.

Thanks 'theduck' time as always been very precious with this build. Hectic job, fostering and for the last 3 years I have been completing an MSc in night school.

It was your build thread that made made me start this one.

Don't know how you found the time! I have struggled to find enough time to work on the kit with just work and keeping swmbo happy.

I'm glad that my thread has proven of interest to people, its not the best build or best thread, this put mine to shame!

I have spent hours thinking about which way to put this panel on, well it was at least 4 cups of tea and a trip to B&Q for some more files, oh I might have had a hotdog from the Salmonella trailer. At least with the stainless steel panels they can only go on one way!

Next I started on the panels in the foot-well area, fitting was the same as the back panel. Dry fit, a little tweak here and there mainly to miss the welds and to remove sharps bits from GBS cutter.

post-4145-0-43589900-1393187003_thumb.jpg

I use some emery cloth to key the edges, before using the black adhesive/sealant (this stuff got every where).

post-4145-0-55484500-1393187146_thumb.jpg post-4145-0-97274500-1393187208_thumb.jpg

From advice on the forum I fitted the two panels by the gearbox bell housing on the outside of the chassis to give more room for the pedals and feet. Still tight and I have to remember not to wear big boots.