Pinto Problem

jaimo

I will try dan wen i get home dinner time just got to charge battery or jump leads

Need a new battery going to try the hand over the seperate carb intakes as well try that

I thought timming as well but orther cylinders running and wen plug out tested on manifold no3 sparking very well

Is was number 3 keith but that issue was oil clogging plug no that issue this time just been thinking about that and wondering if burnt oil left on valve not letting it shut fully hmmm

Dont believe dizzy etc at fault due to fact that sparks perfect and strong upto plug

Plus the carb on number 3 used to pop and spit faint flame out not getting that seems to be low fuel getting into cylinder as although plug damp it not wet

Guest lotusPaul

Jaimo please please please follow some good advice. You must always work from the most basic of elements upwards in a systematic order, almost like a go too check list. EVERY TIME. If not you will almost never solve your issues.

You need to fix your ignition. Or you cant do any carb tuning. As mentioned several times in previously posted advice. Sort one problem out a time.

The pinto is a very basic engine and needs very basic thinking to fix. It does sound as stated above you have this no3 pot issue. Id get your ignition sorted and timed as per the book asap. No messing with carbs just get it done. If not and trust me YOU ARE WASTING YOUR TIME.

I had an issue with my old Alfa where everything looked fine until I closely inspected my Rotor arm. It had a hair line crack and was shorting to the chassis causing a miss fire. It only happened under load but I'd agree with Paul and all the others. Double check your ignition first. Do one thing at a time. Take a methodical approach. I'm going to Stoneleigh in the tintop with my family. It doesn't detract from my day not having my exmo there.

Dave

i have had the same symptoms on my old pinto with bike carbs two days after fitting new head gasket it wouldnt fire on number three there was spark and fuel but no vacuum did my head in so final thing was changed head gasket again and it cured it

Fire it up again and then pull plug 3 and have a look at ithe and see whether it's wet or dry. I reckon it'll be dry as it's not getting any fuel and you've probably got a blocked main jet or stuck float/blocked needle valve on carb 3

• Like 1

Took it for a spin and goes very well and no smoke so was piston ring

But when just crusing it pops and drives like misfire but also a chirping noise started to come from inlet manifold so although tight getting air from injection ports also using fuel and smells of it few oil leaks so that normal

So mite just make it just got to keep foot down 😆😆😆😆😆😆

Guest mcramsay

Chirping is due to a lean fuel mixture causing backfire through the carb this can also be due to timing being out.

Before you start doing anything you need to be running on all 4 cylinders. Then set the ignition timing. Without doing these steps you will never get the issues sorted. You need a baseline to work from.

So once you are running on 4 and the timing is set, balance the carbs and reset the idle Rpm. Then check timing again etc...

Chirping can also be caused by an air leak in the inlet manifold...

Pressing on the manifold changing the sound would suggest thats the problem.

Also when your foot is hard down the percentage of air leak is minimised, so it will

run better.

I assume you have an injection head with egg shaped inlets?

And you have bike carbs on an aftermarket manifold?

You must use a cheap & cheerful inlet manifold gasket that is wide enough to

cover the injection part of the head.

Did you check the face of the manifold covered the injection "eggs" before you assembled it all?