Very Sad 2.1 Pinto

Guest jimmytwobikes

Guest jimmytwobikes

It will be completely rebuilt, to a high standard, 205 block bored out to 2.1, kent rc31 cam, piper vernier pulley, crank reground, all new bearings and bushes, new oil pump. when its done it has to be worth £1000+. Dave Ed you can have first refusal if you like?

Guest mcramsay

I have to agree I don't see the point of building a race tuned pinto engine to sell on... You will sell it for less than half you spend on it. Things like high pressure oil pumps cost a fortune....

Guest IanSouthLincs

I'm another that thinks this is madness, why would you buy and install a completely unknown engine when you're about to rebuild a good spec engine that you know for definite is going to be absolutely sound???

Guest mcramsay

Also I think from my point of view if I was going to buy a race engine I would buy and have it built to my spec by a company I choose. I wouldn't buy a race tuned / rebuilt engine from eBay as its easy to paint an engine and say it's rebuilt.... Without striping it down and measuring clearances etc you won't really know what's been done. Also any one can rebuild an engine but not doing it correctly is another thing. Prime example my mate bought an overhauled pinto and stuck it in his 2b within 500 miles it had low compression. When we took the head off we found even though the rings were new, the bores were never honed. The new rings never bedded in properly as the bores wee completely glazed. So full strip and off to the machine shop!

Guest Martin251184

My Dad (jimmytwobikes) will be installing his current engine when it is rebuilt. Patience has never been his strong point but if he has to miss this summer to get the car just right then so be it. The passenger seat in my Westfield is always available!

He doesn't have to miss the summer. The advice to pick-up a standard 2.0L pinto off ebay and fit it over a weekend seems sensible and fairly economical. A seven with 100 horses is a perfectly good weapon to have lots of fun. Then rebuild the 2.1 at leisure before dropping it back in. Seems like a win/win to me. He can get to know the car, have fun and work out just how much more horsepower he 'needs' from the rebuilt engine.

Nigel

• Like 2