Update Hood with a electric fuel pump

CAF

Hi I have at present the standard Sierra mechanical fuel pump and are looking to fit a new electrical pump. Any suggestions on type, fitting and necessary wiring requirements would be appreciated.

Standard square facet  on the Acc part of the ign switch I always put an inertia Switch in the power feed as god forbid you have an accident you don’t have 40ltrs a min still being pumped Out 

I also used the square facet but only use it to prime the system.

So I put a T in the fuel line before and after the mechanical pump.

I wired a push button switch to power it so it only works when I press on the switch so no need for an inertia switch, this means that I only have to put up with the noise for a few seconds.

They can be quite noisy but once the engine fires up there is no chance of hearing it on my car. I wired mine in through a switch on the dash so it wouldn't be running when I was messing around with the ignition system for one reason or another. There is also an inertia switch behind the dash which came from a Ford mondeo, complete with warning light as a good pothole can set it off and there's no shortage of those around here. 

I read somewhere that you can wire them through the solenoid so they only activate on startup? Setup with 2 t pieces to run in parallel with the mechanical pump. This helps when the car has been left for a while to stop the long turnover needed? Anyone done this? 

I converted to electric pump about three years ago and it eventually resulted in a journey home with AA relay when the pump failed. Converted back to mechanical pump even with my bike carb -. conversion with pressure regulator and all works fine. 

• 1 month later...

I seem to be having fuel starvation issues with the electric pump I fitted. Idles lovely but sputtery pickup when you floor it road running. Am gonna refit the mechanical pump in series and see if this cures it.

3 hours ago, Burney said:

I seem to be having fuel starvation issues with the electric pump I fitted. Idles lovely but sputtery pickup when you floor it road running. Am gonna refit the mechanical pump in series and see if this cures it.

That sounds like fuel enrichment/ pump jets not working causing lean mixture - if you can drive top gear flat out fuel pump is fine.  If you stamp the gas and car splutters then runs its running lean momentarily 

11 hours ago, blue said:

That sounds like fuel enrichment/ pump jets not working causing lean mixture - if you can drive top gear flat out fuel pump is fine.  If you stamp the gas and car splutters then runs its running lean momentarily 

Thanks Blue I can't run flat out with steady throttle or quick stamp. 

That sounds like a fuel supply problem, check any filters in the fuel supply, it could be rubbish in the tank blocking the supply as well. Sometimes people used silicone to try and seal the tank/filler/sensor, this swells in fuel and causes lots of problems.