Supercharging An Mx5 Engine

richardm6994

Gob smacked guys.... Bought a tear to my eye. Cracking job, both of you.....

And me Terry, this is just the best club with the most amazing people. The support given by members in this club is worth way more than £15 a year.
  • Like 5

you mean to say yours dont let you use the dishwasher for cleaning engine parts ??? mine does

I Would be hung drawn and quartered if I did that :wacko: So its a good job I have a parts washer in the shed :good:

That just tops the whole unit off, well done a Richard :D

• Like 1

We've had a great day's work at Terry's. The supercharger is now bolted in place and looks great.....but Tazzzzman still has a way to go before the project is finished.

As I've only been able to crank the spare engine over with an electric drill, I expected we'd have to make some fine adjustment on the charger brackets to align it and keep the belt from wondering when driven by the engine at speed. After everything was aligned, we've found that the tensioner needs to come out about 5mm to centre the belt on its face.

All is good until the engine hits 7000rpm. At that speed, we suspect vibrations in the belt cause it to jump a rib for a split second before jumping back. Hopefully the solution is to put shoulders onto the tensioner and this should resist any side to side movement.....hard to explain this but we're hopeful it will work...

C61D6759-71B4-4B52-AC26-2DFC6A1F3F46_zpsopr1g2ss.jpg

0F86F0B3-E5AD-463C-A45F-075FCD8F2682_zpsbvmrdsdp.jpg

And a video.....

Edited by steamer
  • Like 1

Guest tom-zero

Nothing an English man in a shed can't build. Who needs German car factory's with millions of pounds spent on them cracking job mate. When will the zetec option be designed ? Can I put my name near the top or the list lol

Hopefully the solution is to put shoulders onto the tensioner and this should resist any side to side movement.....

This is a tight fitting removable sleeve to provide shoulders on the tensioner...

D0AC877A-E45E-449B-92BF-9FDB93094D76_zpsdhrn5puu.jpg

511E6D25-1228-4128-98CC-A11C2FF7D1E2_zpsjw7nufny.jpg

I wanted to make this modification easily removable as the tensioner is a consumable item so replacing is a simple job

Edited by steamer